Thursday, July 26, 2012

DIY

I had no idea how much I would miss having a house and my craft stuff and a sewing machine (it is all in storage until October).  At the outset of this journey I thought no big deal.  Within a month I broke down and bought a new sewing machine.  I have been wanting a new one for quite a while since mine is 10 years old and didn't handle complex projects and different fabric types very well (last year's Halloween costumes resulted in a lot of swearing).  I found the PERFECT machine on Craigslist.  It is a Viking Husqvarna Sapphire 830.  Every time I sew with it I find more reasons to fall in love.  One of my favorite features is that you can set it to stop with the needle down and it raises the foot automatically when you stop so pivoting when you sew is a dream.  The things I have made on it look amazing. ANYWAY...My mind and my pinterest boards are FULL of house ideas, but alas I have no house.  I fell in love with this knockoff Anthropologie table from Costplus World Market, at $700 it is a steal. Ry even likes it, which tells me it is destiny.

 But you know me... always looking for a better deal.  So I found these balustrades that have been reclaimed from an old staircase for $15 each .  


and I found this awesome tutorial from Ana White on Making a Farm table.

I have been scouring craigslist and I don't think finding reclaimed planks or wood is going to be a challenge in the lumber capital of the world (I just made that part up).

I promptly called my wonderful, loving, and supportive husband to tell him about my grand plan that will save us more than $600. To which he said "please don't bring anything else home"..."you are going to end up on an episode of hoarders"...and a few other things that I can't really remember right now but sounded like "blah blah blah stop looking at Craigslist... blah blah blah we don't even have a screw driver right now (it is in storage with our garbage cans and several other things that we did actually need)...blah blah blah no more crap...blah blah blah, stop spending money we need to buy a refrigerator damn it!"  So for now I will make my daily online pilgrimage to earthwise architectural salvage's website and pray to the chicken foot that those lovely balustrades are still around in October.  

No comments: